You never know what's in my jeans... but you'll always be surprised!

Friday, June 18, 2010

Ultra sonic fun times

If I didn't have the ability to be sarcastic, I'd probably go insane.

On Wednesday I had the first meeting with my GYN, as previously blogged about and got scheduled for fasting labs and the ultrasound. Last night I had dinner at 8 and desert around 9:30pm so I figured I'd be good for getting the labs drawn before my ultrasound.

As it turned out, mom was going with me and had to run and errand so we got to the ultrasound appointment on time, but had to postpone the labs until after wards. I got right in and at first only had to peel my pants down to my hips. After gelling me up the tech probably spent about 10 minutes peeking at what she could. Ended up taking a peek at my right kidney and my gallbladder. Said both looked healthy and normal, neither had stones. This was good news to me, since several people suggested the pain could be gall bladder related and as much as I want an answer to the pain, each thing we eliminate is *good* news, not bad.

Anyhow, she couldn't really get a good peek at my uterus so GUESS WHAT? Yeah, that. I had to drop trou and drape. Then I got to experience the gel again and it was a lot LESS cold on my tummy than it was down there. I mean, the cold metal speculum was a curling iron compared to the ultrasound gel.

It took about 30 minutes and I got to see what basically looked like... uh... static on the tv? Mom and the tech obviously knew what they were looking at and the tech didn't seem to see anything to be concerned about. I had a feeling it would turn out this way, but I was a little surprised that my right ovary wasn't like, sharpening it's fangs with a nail file or something.

Anyhow, after that I went next door and got my labs done. I don't know about any of you reading this, but I hate "clean catch" urine samples more than anything. "Wipe, void, catch, void." That's how it SHOULD go, but I have a nervous bladder that even if I am ready to explode, has a hard time peeing on "cue" i.e. start stop start stop start finish. Needless to say, I always make sure my pants are folded and placed near the sink. Just in case.

On to the blood draw. I always ask for them to take from the veins in my hand and normally I don't get more than a small mark but for some reason I have this dime sized bruise from where the needle went in. They took 3 vials and from what I saw on the orders they were drawing for lipids, platelet count, follicle stimulating hormone, thyroid stimulating hormone and a few other things I was too distracted to memorize.

We finally got out of the lab around 2:15 and mom decided to go to the Clovis library. Even though I was hungry, I would never ever turn down a chance to go into a library. I waked out with 13 books and 6 CDs. Then we went to the bead store and spent a few hours there, finally ending the day by stopping at a great Chinese restaurant.

I get to call next week, probably around Wed or Thur and ask if they got all of the tests and results and where we go from there. So I am going to try not to worry or over analyze anything until I hear from the Dr.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

Well, hopefully those tests will help eliminate possibilities and determine what could be going on.

Those are no fun but I've done them, well I dunno what they technically looked for in my blood but I assume the same thing.

You didn't see like a weird black hole on the screen that is your uterus? I got to see my bladder last time I had an u/s LOL. I've also seen my boobs in ultrasound form. Good stuff.

Melissa said...

Sweets, I hope everything is OK. I'm sure it is. Cyst schmist. Who needs ovaries? :P
31 yr old virgin, eh? That's hot!

ILU and I'll keep reading to see how things turn out.

Love and stuff xoxo