You never know what's in my jeans... but you'll always be surprised!

Friday, June 11, 2010

Laughing at God

I have a friend who, over the last several years, has only wanted one thing. It's not my right to say what it is, so I won't, but I know if she got this thing, she'd be amazing at it.

Anyhow, through the last few years with her I have learned a lot of things about medicine, nutrition, and life in general. Some of it may or may not actually apply to me now.

Yeah, that was vague, but intentionally so. I am frustrated beyond my ability to express it. Last November a close relative died and my family was responsible for cleaning out his apartment and storage shed and making funeral arrangements. It was very difficult for all of us. Then, shortly after Christmas, my grandmother was diagnosed with uterine cancer. Her gyn said it was easily removed via surgery and my grandma wouldn't even need chemo if it was contained as she thought it was. Luckily, it was. On my 31st birthday I went with her and my mother to her pre--surgery appointment and she was in and out of the hospital the next day.

Still, this got me thinking. My mother had a hysterectomy in her late 30's due to a level 3 pap and numerous cysts/polyps. You name the reproductive organ, she had some abnormal growth on it.

Where do I come in? For the last 6 months or so I have had this regular, annoying pain in my right side. At first I thought maybe it was constipation. (What?) I take a medication for ADD and it causes instantaneous constipation. Believe me when I say I drink a LOT of water and have a jar of Benefiber on my kitchen table, ready to be stirred into coffee, tea, juice, water or anything for that matter.

Anyhow, the pain. I ignored it for several months thinking it was nothing. Even when it hurt very badly I just assumed it was me being whiny. I *am* overweight and I do, do a lot of sitting at the computer all day, so I used to call the pain "A kink in my side" assuming that it was due to lack of exercise or something.

Three weeks ago I stopped ignoring it and saw my RNP. She palpated my midsection and then ordered CT's with barium. For the record, even with the "berry" flavor and drinking it ice cold, it has this tangy, stinging feeling. Anyhow, my GI tract is fine, the CT's showed nothing.

Great right? No, I cried. I was hoping it was something, anything. Even a weensy easy to fix something. Nada.

Now I am wondering if it's gynecological? Is it a mutant ovary, lurking and bulking up, sharpening it's teeth, ready to attack my uterus? The reason I want to know is that this period (which was 3 days early) was the worst in my life. I had 3 migraines, cramps that made me nauseous and cry, and the pain in my right side got so bad I wanted to die. It was like a knife that happened to be dipped in thumbtacks. I bled for a day and a half and bled so heavily I used 5-6 maximum absorbency pads. This by the way is freakishly abnormal. I bleed pretty heavily but this was ridiculous. Then the next day I did not bleed at all. Not a drop. But I cramped all day and was in agony and sick to my stomach. The next day the cramps were worse but I bled. For like, 45 minutes, MAX. I wore a pad and pretty much had nothing to report. Yesterday I didn't bleed at all, and so far today (Friday the 11th) I have not bled but the pain in my side is making me breathless again.

I won't go nuts on WebMD and to be honest, I will wait until I know anything for sure, but I am calling the GYN tomorrow for an emergency appointment and will also be calling my RNP just to let her know that the pain is worsening and about my super abnormal period.

The last thing I want to point out is that out of all of the symptoms I may or may not have, I have noticed I have gotten acne like a 15 yo (I normally have very clear skin) I have gained weight but not changed my diet for the worse for better and I also still have hair in weird places. (THAT might just be me getting OLD)

So while I am not like, spazzing (yet) I am looking at several possible gynecological issues I could be having. Especially since ovarian and uterine cysts run in my family.

3 comments:

Everly said...

while i obviously do not know anything about your medical past, the extreme pain and bleeding could be attributed to so many things. you best bet is to go to your gyn soon and tell her all of your symptoms. i don't want to spazz you out either because i know i research the hell out of things (always end up with the wrong answer)

Jen said...

Thank you for your comment. I got an appointment next Wed so I will definitely be updating this when I know more.

Jenna said...

I would definitely go to the doctor.

I used to absolutely hate going to the doctor, and now I find myself wanting to go to try and get answers to things. Google is the devil. Enough said.

P.S. Thank you. You really think I'd be amazing if I got what I wanted? You are an awesome friend.