You never know what's in my jeans... but you'll always be surprised!

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Beads bead everywhere and not a box to spare

There is nothing I dislike more as far as necessary chores go, than sorting beads. Imagine having to sort grains of rice, or small noodles. Then imagine that some of these grains of rice cost anywhere from .45¢-$4.50 a piece.

The thing about being creative/crafty is that you have to work with the space you have and in my case, the space I have also serves as my bedroom and office. So in the space of a back bedroom I have a floor to ceiling bookcase, bed, night stand, bead desk, filing cabinet, TV stand (converted from an old nightstand) computer desk, small roller bin, door and dresser. This is clockwise from the bookcase. Because this was my sister's room before she got married, there are NO DOORS on my closet, because the beautiful wood shutter style doors got broken when she tripped. (Or that was the story)

The other things about all of this being in one space is that our house is out in the country. Yes, we live in a neighborhood, but less than 2 minutes in any directions and you will see orchards, farms and stables. This is great because Fresno is a vital agriculture community. It also sucks because there is a fine, whitish grey dust that settles on EVREYTHING.

Now, I enjoy dusting believe it or not, but the difficulty here is that my room is also a heat sink/cold vortex. In the summer, regardless of running the AC on days over 90, my room will remain 10-15 degrees warmer than the rest of the house. Vice a versa, in the winter my room can be up to 20 degrees colder. What does this have to do with dust? Well, in the summer I keep my fan on high. This leads to the excruciatingly precise and constant distribution of dust everywhere. By the same token, I have a heater in my fan I run during the winter. Same idea. Even coating of dust on everything in the room. From the fan blades, shelves, lamps and desks to the tops of all of my clothing (no doors) and even on vertical surfaces like walls.

Back to beading... If I accidentally leave a lid popped open, or have a project laid out that I can't get back to for some reason, the dust settles into every nook and cranny of my bead desk. As I blog this, my desk is pied high with things I pulled off of the floor, my dresser, desk, living room table and out of one of the bins I needed to sort.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Imma edit this later as I am so shaky I am not sure what the hell I actually just typed. D: